2 weeks ago
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Why I do my job
I get asked alot about how I can do the job that I do. You know, the medical field isn't the most glamorous. Blood, throw-up, and other body functions are things we deal with everyday. Tuesday I had the chance to work on the cardiac floor instead of with my little babies. I had forgotten what a whole different world adults are. One of my patients, an elderly lady who is terminally ill, reminded me why I do my job. Every once in awhile tears fall while I'm working, usually I can control them, save them for later. There was a couple that slipped out while she was speaking to her son that was not in the area. She told him how proud she was, how much she loved him, how honored that he was her son and what a wonderful man he was. It touched me so much to hear her tell him these things. Afterwards, her nurse and I asked her if it was ok if we changed her bed linens, and gave her a bath. She was so gracious, and kind. As we were cleaning her she became teary eyed, and thanked us over and over. As we finished with her and smoothed her hair back, she again thanked me, I told her that it was my privilege. It is a privilege that I get to help people when they are at their worst, sickest, and even at the end of their lifes. All I was doing was my job, nothing extra, nothing special. Just my job. And I'm a better person for serving her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment