


I love to read!! LOVE IT!! All sorts of books, magazines, newspaper...all of it. I needed a new book to read and my friend Keri, recommended the book "War" by Sebastian Junger. The same author who wrote the "Perfect Storm", which I very much enjoyed. He is a great author and journalist. I had been eyeing the book for a few weeks, but just hadn't made the commitment to get it. Well, I jumped and oh my hell. It is incredible!! He was embedded with a group of front line soldiers, in a remote outpost in the Korangal Valley, Afghanistan. The everyday of what these young men go through just makes my heart ache. Literally. Reading what they live with all day, everyday is just mind blowing, and my heart hurts for them. I don't care what side of the fence you fall on, pro or against the war... it gives you a whole new humanity of it. There is a movie that won several awards at the Sundance film festival that I can't wait to see. Restrepo, which is the name of one of the bases of the story. The way they name them is usually after one of their own who was killed, and this base is no exception. Restrepo was the medic that was with the company. It is amazing that most of these soldiers are only about 5 years older than Colton. I hope that my boys never have to go what these boys are going through. And it makes me very proud and grateful to live in America.

No comments:
Post a Comment